Docbook versus Home-Grown

Mike Feimster mike.feimster at acstechnologies.com
Mon Oct 9 06:18:11 PDT 2006

Hi Joe,

I had to make a similar decision a couple years ago. I went with the
home-grown approach. I already knew how to create a DTD and EDD, as well
as XSLT, etc. I figured by the time I learned DocBook, cut it down to a
manageable level, added any other customizations, I could have created
my own EDD/DTD.

Also, by creating my own schema, I could take advantage of the inherent
style in my unstructured documents.

Once in XML, it is easy to get to HTML using XSLT. You can also create
HTML Help without spending any money on tools. (If you're attending the
FrameMaker Chautauqua in Austin next month, I'm presenting a session on
this.)

Mike