Translation questions

Karen Story karens at microen.com
Mon Oct 9 10:14:06 PDT 2006

Hi Alexandra,

To save money, we break our books into small files, and only hand off the files that have changed. This saves us a lot of money in translation costs, but it means that we have to do all the file integration and resolve missing fonts and a few other issues. Every so often we hand off the whole book, because the older sections get out of alignment with the translation memory. If your compay can afford it, it's best to always hand off everything to the vendor.

We hand off FrameMaker files, not mif files.

* Can't translators take the latest mif files from you and use TRADOS to
identify what has changed?

Yes, but they will charge you for every word, even the words that were already translated.

* What if the database from the translator is out-of-date? Can't they
build a new one based on new files?

Yes, but this costs money.

* Is there really a difference in this process (re:TRADOS) if we used
Word?

Don't use Word! The Frame to Mif to Trados and back process works just fine.

Message: 2