OSX Tiger and FrameMaker

Graeme Forbes graeme.forbes at colorado.edu
Tue Oct 10 10:34:25 PDT 2006

There seems to be a bit of confusion in answering Ann's question
about FM and Tiger. Bottom line: if it's a G5 Mac you've got (or G4,
G3...) FrameMaker will run fine under OS X 10.2, 10.3 (Panther) or
10.4 (Tiger). Dunno about 10.0 or 10.1

This is because the G5 supports Apple's Classic environment, which
allows OS9 to run inside any recent version of OSX that can be
installed on a G5 computer.

If you buy a newer Mac with an Intel chip, you're out of luck (a
qualification -- there are certain programs which emulate OS7 or OS8
inside OSX on an Intel Mac, so you can run -- sort of -- FM5 or FM6;
or you can emulate, or even boot into, Windows -- yeah, right -- and
run Windows FM).

An entirely different question is whether your machine can *boot
into* OS9 (OS9 controls the computer, not OSX with Classic running
inside it). I had a G4 desktop which could boot OS9, and OS9 apps
like FM7 fairly flew. But of course I couldn't run OSX apps without
rebooting. I think my particular model may have been the last or
second last Mac capable of booting OS9. G5 Macs can't. But for
FrameMaker, running in Classic is not merely perfectly acceptable,
it's actually better than running on any machine controlled by OS9.
OSX is vastly more stable, and if Classic chokes, it's only a Classic
relaunch to get things going again, not a hardware reboot.

As part of Apple's plot to abandon its customers still using non-OSX
software, they stopped shipping G4/G5 Macs with Classic installed
some time ago. Once your new OS 10.x is going on your machine, you
may have to go to the Help menu and search for "Classic" to find out
where on your installation disks they've hidden the Classic
installler. But it'll be there somewhere.

Hope that helps,
Graeme Forbes