Framers Digest, Vol 12, Issue 10

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 17 03:54:11 PDT 2006

At 11:08 +0100 17/10/06, Paul Findon wrote:

>>Correct. There was a campaign, thanks to Paul Findon, but it got us nowhere: http://www.fm4osx.org
>
>Don't write it off just yet, Steve, the campaign is still very much alive. Just last week I resubmitted over 400 pages of petition with 3,673 signatures to several key people at Adobe.

My apologies: I was, I admit, unintentionally dismissive, probably because I was feeling gloomy about the whole picture, and particurly so due to the apparent legal requirement for me to destroy all Mac FrameMaker software I own if I cross-grade to FrameMaker on PC - even those that I originally bought from Frame Corporation.

3,673 signatures? Assuming that that's 3,673 guaranteed upgrade licenses, that's about three quarters of a million dollars US. Surely that's enough to get some movement?

It was certainly not my intention to write the campaign off. I've barracked Chris Kitchener at shows and demos so many times now that he flinches when he sees me coming.

>Admitedly, the campaign has not achieved its ultimate goal, but it has been very successful at getting our message across to the people that matter, i.e., top-level executives at Adobe, we did receive a response from Adobe's Director of PR. Soon after, Adobe held a survey for FrameMaker with the question: "do you want a Mac OS X version?" Then, Adobe realized just what a jewel FrameMaker is and decided to reinvest in it, with 7.2 released last year and 8.0 coming next year.

That's all very good to hear.

>We also got our message across to top-level executives at Apple, who very much want Adobe to come on board with FrameMaker for Mac OS X and the issue has been discussed several times in Steve Jobs' office. This was confirmed by a call I received from the head of PR for Apple Europe.

Excellent!

--
Steve