page numbering

Ridder, Fred fred.ridder at intel.com
Sat Oct 28 18:39:21 PDT 2006

Here's one direct (i.e. brute force) approach:

If page 131 is in the middle of a chapter, split the chapter into two
files, one that ends with page 131 and one that starts with page
132. Set the pagination for the first half to "Delete empty pages"
and set the pagination for the second half to start on "Next
available" (which option is only available from the book window)
or "Left" if you're working with duplex pages. Change the numbering
properties of the second half from "Continue from previous file" to
start with 132. If page 131 is already the last page in a chapter
you skip the step if splitting the chapter.

Then just make the new content a separate file that you'll include
in the book between the two halves. Modify this file's master page(s)
to use a two-part page number, one half of which will be the regular
page number system variable that you'll set to use numeric format
beginning with "a" or "A", and the other half of which is the text
string "131" (or "131-" if you prefer).  You can either enter that text
directly on the master page, or use the $volnum system variable
if you're not already using it.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder (fred dot ridder at intel dot com)
Intel
Parsippany, NJ