Importing images from a CAD system

Robert Stoker info at seatechpubs.com
Thu Sep 7 12:33:20 PDT 2006

We never directly use DXF files. We first clean up the DXF file in
Canvas (or Illustrator), and then save the file as EPS. This way we get
rid of the bulk of the DXF format but keep the vectors. During the
process, we don't resize the file to the final output size. Rather, we
use a plug-in that we developed to import the EPS file into a standard
frame. The plug-in automatically sizes and centers the file in the
anchored frame.

Here are a few things to remember when you work with DXF files:

-You may need to delete proprietary information from the file. The file
may contain supplier information, manufacturing information, etc. that
you don't want to publish.
-You will need to bump up the line weights. The lines come in as
hairlines. Hairlines don't print very well. We usually bump the lines
to 0.5 pt.
-You may need to replace the text. The text is converted to paths
during the DXF export (at least from ProE). Sometimes the text spacing
and placement is destroyed during the export. Also, when you increase
the line weight, the stroke of the text paths is increased.

Regards,
Robert Stoker
Seatech Publications, Inc.
Content Development,