Importing images from a CAD system

Thu Sep 7 12:47:29 PDT 2006

Gillian Flato wrote:

> The hardware tech writers at my company use Solidworks
> creations in their Frame docs. They told me that they don't
> use the DXF file because they are so large. Our engineers
> create them for 11 x 17 paper. They always convert the DXF
> file to a high-res JPEG and then import to Frame and scale it
> down. So yes, they lose the vector.

Your hardware tech writers are -- how shall I put this? -- graphically
challenged. They convert a *scaleable_vector_drawing* into a bitmapped
image (and the worst possible format of bitmapped image for a line
drawing, the format they should use only for photos), and then they
*scale* the *bitmap*??

I don't work with CAD drawings, so I don't know much about this. I know
DXF files are ASCII text, so file size can be pretty big. But if file
size is really an issue, surely there are better solutions than
converting them to <shudder /> JPEGs.

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs