Options for cross-grading, Mac to PC

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 14 06:02:48 PDT 2006

At 08:45 -0400 14/9/06, Ridder, Fred wrote:

>It's really not any different from Adobe's standard upgrade policy.
>If you buy an upgrade license for most (if not all) of their products,
>it only entitles you to keep both versions installed for a transition
>period (90 days, as I recall). After that period you are supposed
>to uninstall the old version.

Hmm. I was unaware of that. It wouldn't matter a jot, of course, for something like Illustrator or InDesign, where there would be no incentive to continue using the old version anyway. However, we still have authors here working in old versions of FrameMaker, and it's a help to be able to keep their source files at the required version. (I know you can MIF backward through versions, but it's a hassle.)

>For contractors who might need to have multiple versions available to them to work on client projects using the correct tool version, this technically mean s multiple full licenses for each version.  Not very user-friendly, but it's the way Adobe has structured their licenses for years.

As you say, not user friendly.

--
Steve