XSL on export

Rick Quatro frameexpert at truevine.net
Fri Sep 15 05:04:32 PDT 2006

I just answered my own question with a test. The stylesheet DOES get
applied, even though the XML file is still open in FrameMaker. Of course,
the changes that the stylesheet makes are not reflected in the open
FrameMaker document unless you first close the document and attempt to
reopen it.

I say *attempt* to reopen it, because you may need an import stylesheet so
that the XML file will open without errors, depending on what was done by
the export stylesheet. So, it is possible to render an XML file that is
currently open and being edited in FrameMaker as unopenable after it is
closed.

Is there a setting somewhere to prevent you from saving an XML document in
FrameMaker? For example, if you open a text file with FrameMaker, it will
retain the .txt extension until you attempt to save the file. You will then
get the Save As dialog box so you can save it as a FrameMaker binary (.fm)
document. Based on the above discussion, this behavior may be desireable for
XML files. Thanks.

Rick