Advice for Single-Source CMS Authoring Environment

RHandel at emdeon.com RHandel at emdeon.com
Wed Sep 20 06:59:07 PDT 2006

I am presently on a tools research group to find a viable single-source
solution for creating help documentation for our software.  We have a
variety products, with newer product help documentation being more
online-centered and legacy documentation being more print-centered, so we
would like a solution that provides the best solution for both.

Presently, some of our team primarily uses RoboHelp, others primarily use
FrameMaker, while still others primarily use Word with Acrobat.  We want a
system that will allow us to expand and not lock us in, but the key to all
of this is the cleanest and easiest means to repurpose documentation (print,
web, internal, PDA, etc.).

I am still trying to wrap my brain around the way FrameMaker handles XML,
but it appears that it COULD function as a CMS itself.  However, I cannot
really find much information on this or how it handles the organization of
data on a server.

Can anyone give me feedback on using FrameMAker in this capacity?  Should I
see FrameMaker solely as an authoring tool?  And in either case, would it be
a good solution for authoring online help (i.e. is WebWorks as robust as
RoboHelp--or for that matter, will Adobe eventually integrate the two
products to make it a seamless process)?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Randolph Handel
Technical Writer
Medical Manager Research & Development
Sage Software
15151 NW 99th Street ● Alachua, FL 32615
Office: 386.418.7137 ● Fax: 386.418.1591
www.sagehealth.com

This message is confidential, intended only for the named recipient(s) and
may contain information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure under
applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are notified
that the dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly
prohibited.  If you receive this message in error or are not the named
recipient(s), please notify the sender at either the fax address or
telephone number above and delete this message.  Thank you.