QUESTION: Creating a DIFF doc comparing 2 conditionalized versions of manual

Bodvar Bjorgvinsson bodvar at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 13:26:19 PDT 2006

On 9/24/06, Karen Mardahl <k.mardahl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Grant
>
> Bodvar - do you do a compare of the entire FM book in one step? My
> complaint about the FM compare is that it is per chapter. I need to do
> the entire book. I am sure there is a FrameScript solution to such a
> task, but tell me - is there a built-in method that I have overlooked?
>
> Thanks.
>
> regards, Karen Mardahl

No. I have just recently started using the compare and have only
compared files. It is limited, of course, especially with structured
FM, but I use it as a basis for further markings in the original. The
CMP document is usually full of redundancies and changes that don't
matter, like splitting a word with a hyphen, changing qote types etc.
You really don't want that in the final document that serves as a new
revision. But it is geat combined with the summary files (that I print
out) to show the reviewers what to look for.

Our good relations with the authorities have still improved
considerably since we started this.

And about the conditional texts (although you seem to be complaining
only about how Acrobat renders its changes): If the users don't like
red overstrike and green underscore, why not just make your own colors
and condition text formatting? Try numeric underscore and make a
darker green color for the added text.

Bodvar