PDF 'rangecheck' error, FrameMaker 7.0: GONE AWAY

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Fri Sep 29 09:16:17 PDT 2006

Hi Bodvar

>If you were using Structured FM, it is a memory hog, and you can get
>all sorts of anomalies, usually starting with graphical unstability
>(on screen). Restarting FM or rebooting (Windoze) remedies that.

I am using structured FM, but I'm on Mac ;-) Mac OS X is basically BSD Unix, and FrameMaker executes on it inside wrapper software that emulates the older OS 9 system (sounds horrendous, but it works). Distiller, on the other hand, is OS X-native, and so outside of that wrapper, and all applications have protected memory. While side effects are not impossible (for example, I had a complete system lock-up today), they are rare and unlikely.

>Also some other things can affect the use of temporary files that
>Distiller uses etc. I have at times had to tidy up the temp folders to
>get things going.

Um. I've learned to shove a Ps file at Distiller a second time if it barfs the first time, but when I tried that (in the original problem scenario), it failed every time. Today, distilling the *same* PS file works. So clearly it's some sort of transient Distiller problem.

>Nothing to worry about, I should think.

Not now that it's gone away, for sure, but it spoiled my day when it looked like a brick wall the first time.

--
Steve