'Missing' imported files mystery, and Tuesdays

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 3 09:08:35 PDT 2007

Large book, many imported graphics, all imported by reference.

Today FrameMaker 7.0 (Mac) reported on saving a file that graphics information had been lost and asked me to report the problem to Adobe (Mac FrameMaker problem - Adobe - ha-ha!). On checking the document, it turned out that three [of many]  graphics imported by reference listed as 'No file' for 'Referenced file' and were grayed out.

Ok, I though - just backtrack to the previous version of the document, check the files' identities, and re-import them. But although the previous version showed the graphics correctly in the document, it also listed them as 'No file' under 'Referenced file'.

Puzzled, I went back to the very first [FrameMaker  6] version of the respective document. That was the same: the graphics showed up correctly, but also listed as 'No file'.

But it didn't end there: on reopening the current document that had originally given the graphics file save error, the problem graphics showed up correctly - but still listed as 'No file'.

PDFs, including pre-press PDFs, have been created from all of these books.

My questions are:

. How can FrameMaker apparently continue to work with a document with broken import link(s)

. How can it create Ps without error if one or more graphics appears to have a broken import link?

. Why did the original error appear and then disappear?

. How could this link breakage have initially occurred?

. Why hasn't the problem shown up before now?

. What is it about Tuesdays? (The above is only one of many minor hassles today)

I think it was Ford Prefect who said he could never get the hang of Thursdays. I fell the same way about Tuesdays.

<http://bms.westport.k12.ct.us/mccormick/rt/rtscripts/rtshitch.htm>

--
Steve