'Missing' imported files mystery, and Tuesdays

Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 09:15:26 PDT 2007

Do you have the "Save graphics as Frame Image" option turned on? If
so, that may explain how the file functioned without the graphics
files, but that only answers a few of your questions.

Assuming you have a high resolution pdf, you should be able to extract
and recover the missing files...

Art

On 4/3/07, Steve Rickaby <srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Large book, many imported graphics, all imported by reference.
>
> Today FrameMaker 7.0 (Mac) reported on saving a file that graphics information had been lost and asked me to report the problem to Adobe (Mac FrameMaker problem - Adobe - ha-ha!). On checking the document, it turned out that three [of many]  graphics imported by reference listed as 'No file' for 'Referenced file' and were grayed out.
>
> Ok, I though - just backtrack to the previous version of the document, check the files' identities, and re-import them. But although the previous version showed the graphics correctly in the document, it also listed them as 'No file' under 'Referenced file'.
>
> Puzzled, I went back to the very first [FrameMaker  6] version of the respective document. That was the same: the graphics showed up correctly, but also listed as 'No file'.
>
> But it didn't end there: on reopening the current document that had originally given the graphics file save error, the problem graphics showed up correctly - but still listed as 'No file'.
>
> PDFs, including pre-press PDFs, have been created from all of these books.
>
> My questions are:
>
> . How can FrameMaker apparently continue to work with a document with broken import link(s)
>
> . How can it create Ps without error if one or more graphics appears to have a broken import link?
>
> . Why did the original error appear and then disappear?
>
> . How could this link breakage have initially occurred?
>
> . Why hasn't the problem shown up before now?
>
> . What is it about Tuesdays? (The above is only one of many minor hassles today)
>
> I think it was Ford Prefect who said he could never get the hang of Thursdays. I fell the same way about Tuesdays.
>
> <http://bms.westport.k12.ct.us/mccormick/rt/rtscripts/rtshitch.htm>
>
> --
> Steve

                             No disclaimers apply.