Updating cross reference markers

Rick Quatro frameexpert at truevine.net
Tue Apr 3 17:25:43 PDT 2007

Hi Kevin,

The Cross-Ref marker text is like a unique ID that matches a hidden property
of any cross-reference that points to it. It is not necessary for the
Cross-Ref marker text to match the paragraph that contains it. You would not
want to change the content of a Cross-Ref marker because it would cause any
cross-references that point to it to become unresolved.

For a somewhat detailed discussion of this, you may want to see

http://www.frameexpert.com/tutorials/cross-references.htm

particularly under the "Paragraph Cross-References" heading.

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing
585-659-8267
www.frameexpert.com

hi all,

Over the years as our documents have evolved, and headings and subheadings
have been fine-tuned and changed, and chapters moved around and titled
re-worked as content changes, I've had a growing problem with my cross
reference markers not matching the text of the actual paragraph/heading.
Looking in the Framemaker 7 Ref guide, I found this helpful statement:

"For paragraph cross references, the marker test contains a number assigned
to the marker, and the paragraph tag and text of the paragraph being cross
referenced. (The marker text is not updated, so the tag and text may not
match the cross-reference.)"

Is there in fact no way to update the cross reference markers across a book,
so that they actually reflect the text of the heading/etc. that they're
attached to? Or is it like a unique ID (key) used to establish the
relationship? I would have expected there to be an underlying numeric key
value or something, as well as the text itself. Or is that not the case? I
couldn't find anything on this in the archives, nor online

Thanks,

Kevin Hunter

ExcelSystems Software Development, Inc.
BCD International, Inc.