Can't print from Frame

Dov Isaacs isaacs at adobe.com
Thu Apr 5 08:39:41 PDT 2007

Tina,

Bubbamisa!

Good try, but absolutely groundless. The "optimize for
portability" hack was put into the Windows driver to deal
with some applications, FrameMaker NOT being among them,
that injected their own PostScript into the driver's output
stream improperly, interfering with the current graphics
state of the PostScript job. It also makes a bit of a
difference how fonts and procedure definitions (what you
are calling "a shorthand version of PostScript" are put
into the job, but certainly not how they are used.

If in fact, use of the "optimize for portability" option
causes something to print that doesn't otherwise print
from FrameMaker, you are dealing with either (1) a very
traif EPS file (EPS file improperly constructed, not
following the rules for EPS files), (2) an otherwise terribly
misconfigured printer driver or print itself or (3) a very
crufty PostScript RIP / printer.

	- Dov