Importing MathType equations to FM 7.2

Alan Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Sat Apr 7 13:57:06 PDT 2007

On 7/04/2007, at 7:33 AM, Brad Anderson wrote:

> On Apr 6, 2007, at 10:31 AM, Gabrielle Burns wrote:
>
>> I am using MathType 5 to create equations (the FM equation editor
>> is not
>> robust enough),

What do you mean? Can you be more specific please. I have never had a
problem with it causing crashes, or with equations not displaying
correctly.

>> saving them as *.gif files, and importing them to FM into an
>> anchored frame. The issue is that the text elements and sub/
>> superscripts
>> look fuzzy. They look even worse after converting to Adobe PDF.

As others have said, GIF is not a print format. It is a screen only
format.

>> I also tried saving the MathType file as *.eps (an archived message
>> indicated this was possible). FM 7.2 does not accept importing
>> *.eps into an
>> anchored frame.

Yes it does. And GIF, PDF, WMF, EMF, ... Have you tried using a
different format?

>> I tried copying the equation from MathType and pasting it
>> into FM.

Something I have always found that results in problems. MathType is
not the same program as FM and will use different internal commands
to create its files.

>> It accepts the text and super/subscripts, but not the symbols.

That stands to reason. The text are characters and can be copied as
such onto the clip board. The symbols are probably drawn by MathType
and exist as a series of commands within the program until the file
is exported as some interchange format like EPS or PDF. So copying
and pasting from MathType is not the same as exporting to a file and
importing into FM.

>> In the meantime, the engineers I support are quite displeased with
>> the Adobe
>> rendering of equations.

There are few who do it better.

>> My concern is the possibility of having to return to
>> Microsoft Word, which supports MathType. Thank you.

That is always your choice. You should not blame us, Adobe or anyone
else for you the choices you make.

Alan