Maddening problem with frame below

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 11 10:34:44 PDT 2007

At 10:16 -0700 11/4/07, Rene Stephenson wrote:

>We have the same problem with 2 similar BlockLine paragraph tags that use 2 pt font w/ 6 pt space above and paragraph below pointing to a line on the reference page. Both are aligned across all columns and sideheads. Incientally, it doesn't happen with our Spacer paragraph tag, which is also 2 pt. with no space above or below but doesn't include a paragraph below setting and is in-column formatted. So, I don't know if it's due to sidehead involvement or the reference page use.

I guess by the 'same problem', you're referring to Winifried's, not mine.

I'm not using sideheads here, so I'd guess that if it's a bug, it's related to the reference page graphic.

>I have found that every time I change show/hide conditions where this paragraph format is adjacent to text that gets hidden or shown in the operation, it reverts to the "default" settings for font size and space above, and the only way to fix it is to reimport paragraph formats.

Show/hide as in conditional text? Well, I'm not using conditional text anywhere near this problem para, but as I said before, I've not yet managed to trap what actually does trigger it.

What do you mean by the 'default' setting for font sizes and spacing? The settings before overrides, or something else? (I'm not applying overrides.)

>This happens in all of our documents, regardless of which condition tags are used or shown or hidden, so it seems to be dependent upon the point sizes

Bummer.

>I've tweaked the formats and round-tripped everything through MIF to no avail, even ran several plugins to clean out and remap the paragraph formats. I have just come to consider it as a bug and work around it (just as I limit my path length and dept to work around that particular bug). Therefore, as part of my production sequence, before I run Silicon Prairie's Paragraph Tools > Remove Overrides. It's another manual step, but it only takes a couple of seconds.  Doing so is only problematic if the writer has been using manual format overrides, which at this shop is taboo anyway.

As here: the only overrides I permit myself are a few 'keep with nexts' when doing final page balancing.

--
Steve