How many writers/engineer

Mary Anthony mary.anthony at scalent.com
Mon Apr 16 15:21:20 PDT 2007

Krishna,

The exact ratio you need depends on a number of factors. Meaning, a team
is responsible for documenting APIs and none of the writers have
experience with this type of doc, it kind of doesn't matter whether you
have 1 or 5 writers.  If you have three writers and all have API
experience but none have experience working as a doc team, they may run
into coordination issues.

You might want to look at the dependency calculator at:

http://www.comtech-serv.com/dependency_calculator.htm

This will give you hours per page based on a number of factors including
writer experience and technical experience.

Still doesn't answer your question regarding writers/engineer does it?
I've heard 1 writer to 6 engineers.  I've managed teams with a ratio of
1 to 4 when the release cycles are high and the material is highly
technical.

Mary