How many writers/engineer

Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 04:43:12 PDT 2007

I've used a metric of 1-8 for software companies; higher for those
that also do hardware because hardware is typically more labor
intensive but has fewer user options.

I'm not positive, but I believe a classic book called Rapid
Development contains some metrics.

If you haven't already, check the STC site.

Cheers,
Art

On 4/16/07, Daniel Doornbos <danield at promise.com> wrote:
> Hello Krishna,
>
> I have not seen any "official" statement of the proper ratio.
> But I did read an article that said, in general, an organization should
> have one tech writer per eight developers or engineers. Asking around my
> STC chapter and in tech writing classes, it seems that one writer per 15
> to 30 developers or engineers is more common. At my company, I am the
> lone writer supporting 80 developers.
>
> HTH
>
> Daniel Doornbos
> Technical Writer