Better diff tool that change bars?

jopakent at comcast.net jopakent at comcast.net
Wed Apr 18 09:45:59 PDT 2007

I generally do what Steve suggests. I run the compare utility on the old book versus the new book. Then I collect all of the newly created files (file1cmp.fm, file2cmp.fm, etc.) and create a new book with them. I use the existing graphics, TOC, and index files and then PDF the whole mess for the reviewers.

Works pretty well, although sometimes there are a lot of phantom changes caused by name changes to linked graphics and the like. I've developed some search techniques that show the change bars, insert, and delete conditions and when my reviewers want a "better" road map of the actual changes, I to that extra scrubbing as well.

Regards

--
J. Paul Kent

From: Steve Rickaby <srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk>