Another missing fonts question

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 19 01:14:56 PDT 2007

At 13:44 -0600 18/4/07, Combs, Richard wrote:

>Cadel_Janice at emc.com wrote:
>
>> I inherited some documentation, and I get an error message
>> "The "Frutiger-Black" Font is not available."  Does anyone
>> know where I can download that font for free or does anyone
>> know anything about that font.  I am using FM 7.2 unstructured.
>
>The original Frutiger fonts are from Linotype. You can buy the one you
>need, or a family of different weights and styles, from Linotype, Adobe,
>or font resellers like MyFonts.com. Single fonts start at $24 at the
>latter.
>
>There may be free versions, but I'd advise buying from a reputable
>source, especially for business use. Freebies are frequently
>poor-quality ripoffs that come with ethical, aesthetic, and sometimes
>technical problems.
>
>A Google search for "Frutiger" will point you toward lots of information
>about the font and its designer. Fonts have to be designed, remember,
>and the people who do that deserve to be paid.

Be very careful with Frutiger - there are a lot of incompatible versions around. Monotype Frutiger, for example, uses different internal names to Linotype Frutiger.

My search suggests that 'Frutiger 75 Black' is exclusively a Linotype variant:

<http://www.linotype.com/12826/frutiger75black-font.html>

It is also available from Monotype:

<http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detail.htm?pid=201534&gclid=CJOmtfGrzosCFTwHQgodnSIVHA>

I could find no specific 'Frutiger Black'.

--
Steve