Importing HTML into FrameMaker?

Peter Ring pri at ddf.dk
Sat Apr 21 02:31:27 PDT 2007

HTML can be 'normalized' in several automated ways.

Microsoft Word can be a part of the solution -- Word is quite good at
importing tag-soup HTML. Next step is whatever you usually do to go from
Word to FrameMaker. I'd try to clean up as much as possible in Word.

If this insn't just a one-off, I'd try using tidy [1]. Tidy can
transform tag-soup HTML to XHTML, which you can then import to a
structured FrameMaker document. Tidy comes as a command-line utility,
but you can also get it integrated into HTML editors such as HTML Kit
[2] or TopStyle [3], which can also be useful for cleaning up before import.
   This approach requires an initial investment in getting to know tidy
and FrameMaker's XHTML application.

As usual in conversion projects, it pays off to have a mock-up of the
final product (complete with TOC and indexes!) and a description,
feature by feature, of how to get there from the input documents.

[1] http://tidy.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://www.chami.com/html-kit/
[3] http://www.newsgator.com/NGOLProduct.aspx?ProdID=TopStyle

kind regards