Frame vs Arbortext

Bob Williams bob.williams.bristol.ri at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 05:20:40 PDT 2007

We use both and having been involved with standing up both Frame and
Arbortext processes, Steve's impressions are (in my opinion) reasonably
accurate.

We run both systems (20+ writers and developers) because two of our
customers require it (we are tech manual vendors to a couple of big
clients.) But note that they (the big customers) do the real
'heavy-lifting', in that, they developed and manage all of the schemas, dtds
and templates, then provide them to vendors like us (there are several). We
produce and deliver the books to them.

But, even with the templates and schemas provided - running Arbortext still
costs substantially more, in terms of both actual software costs and
staffing 'know how' to build books with it. No offense folks, but you can
still find and train more Frame folks faster (and cheaper) than Arbortext
help.

Arbortext seems stronger for 'industrial strength' operations (large numbers
of big complex books, database content repositories, multiple delivery
requirements - XML, SGML, HTML, custom hard copy).

Having been through the start up of both capabilities - unless you have huge
requirements with a serious long-term view from management, the Frame
process still provides robust capabilities to manage fairly substantive
technical manual development / delivery with much lower costs.

The only other caveats that I would add from my experience is that we are
not currently running a database content repository for the Frame customer,
while we are for the Arbortext folks. The other issue would be the cost and
complexity of building / modifying the templates, schemas or DTDs you intend
to use.

Hope this helped.

Regards,

Bob Williams