Frame vs Arbortext

Sean Pollock spolloc1 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 26 05:54:36 PDT 2007

   In the 1990s I used Epic at Thomson Corporation, a publisher, and I
   currently use it at UGS Corp., a manufacturing software company. You
   are correct when you say that Epic is better for major corporations.
   The cost per seat is much higher than Framemaker and even slight
   changes to DTD, CMS, or output systems within such corporations
   usually result in correcting XML code several times a year, at least
   in my experience. I wish we were using Frame, even though that
   wouldn't solve this problem. Although many writers who previously only
   used Word (ugh) but can't stand Epic are complaining at UGS, the
   company won't go to Frame because of the large number of projects and
   global writing groups here. It looks like they're leaning toward
   XMetal Pro as an editor.
   I interviewed at ArborText in Ann Arbor, MI, some time ago and it's a
   bizarre company. The Epic UI hasn't changed since the beginning and
   often results in typos because it is essentially non-WYSIWYG. While
   XML is supposed to separate coding and writing, Epic does the
   opposite. I'm comfortable with it because I've used it for so long,
   but many writers write in a text editor and then paste into Epic and
   format it as a second step, or refuse to use it altogether.