Why have list AND step paragraph tags

Daniel Emory danemory7224 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 30 08:12:36 PDT 2007

--- Eli Har-Even <ehareven at checkpoint.com> wrote:
> Our FrameMaker templates have two sets of numbered
> lists, one set for steps (step1, step2, step3) and
another for lists (and list1, list2, list3).
> Visually, steps and lists look different, but in
> practice, authors use them interchangeably. I'm
considering simplifying the template by eliminating
one
> of the sets of tags. Does anyone have a use-case
> where having two sets of numbered lists has been
useful? Is there any reason for having both sets?
=================================
Obviiously, if the writers use them interchangeably,
there is no reason to have both. Generally, procedural
steps are more vital than ordinary lists, and thus
require closer editorial and technical attention.
Using different para names for steps and ordinary
lists might make it easier to locate, manage  and more
closely review procedures.

I assume the reason you have 3 different para tags for
both steps and lists is so you can have indented
substeps and sub-items, otherwise I don't know why you
would have 3 different paratags for steps and lists.