OT: Business insurance for independent contractors

Pat Christenson pxenson at comcast.net
Mon Apr 30 18:43:55 PDT 2007

Are any of the independent contractors here carrying business
insurance? It's been some time since I last checked on it but when I
did, I found the cost to be very high and the coverage less than
adequate. I was told at the time that very few companies would cover
an independent contractor doing computer-related work (doc
production) because they don't differentiate between for instance,
someone setting up a payroll system who could do immense damage to a
client and someone like me (setting up FrameMaker templates where it
would be almost impossible to do large damage. When clients require
insurance, I end up working through an agency but I'd prefer to be an
IC.

Anyway, if anyone here is carrying it, I'd be interested to hear
about your experience. Feel free to contact me offlist.

Thanks.

Pat Christenson
pxenson at comcast.net