Book-To-Book Xrefs & File Not Found

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 4 13:45:31 PDT 2007

Steve is correct that all books that are referred to must be open
when you generate the PDF that contains the x-refs.

But two other gotchas are that all of the PDF files must have
*exactly* the same name as the corresponding FrameMaker
book files (except for the extension, of course), and the PDFs
must have the same relative locations as the book files. If the
book files are in the same directory on your system, the PDFs
must also be be in the same directory on your system and on
any medium or server that you put the PDFs on. If the book
files are in separate subdirectories, you must place the PDFs
in subdirectories with exactly the same names and relative
locations as the book files, and that same subdirectory structure
must be maintaied when the files are delivered.

Shlomo Perets used to have an excellent document on this
whole issue on his website (http://www.microtype.com), but
I haven't looked for it in many months so I don't know if it
is still there.

Fred Ridder