XML in FrameMaker 8 & InDesign CS3

Max Dunn maxdunn at siliconpublishing.com
Tue Aug 14 10:51:24 PDT 2007

I have worked with both extensively... FrameMaker offers true XML
authoring capability. Don't be deceived by a structure view: InDesign is
taking steps towards being an XML formatting engine, but really isn't
there in terms of authoring. The "map styles to tags" feature, for
example, is extremely crude compared to an EDD. The "XML Rules" feature
with CS3 definitely extends the XML formatting possibilities
considerably (letting you conditionally format or automate based on
XPath context), but this requires coding and it still makes InDesign
more of a formatting engine for XML than an XML authoring environment.
Plenty of headaches with whitespace and other issues if you really try
to author in it.

There are several use cases where the InDesign XML support makes sense,
for example passing in variable data on the "mail merge" level of
complexity, but complex structures like DocBook or DITA remain the
domain of FrameMaker.

Max Dunn
Silicon Publishing
www.siliconpublishing.com