Virtual PC

Bill Briggs web at nbnet.nb.ca
Tue Aug 14 18:11:39 PDT 2007

At 5:12 PM -0600 8/14/07, Graeme R Forbes wrote:
>One of the things I dislike about Virtual PC (7.0.3) is that I can't see any of the programs I installed using it. I've got WindowsXP, FrameMaker 7.1 and Adobe Reader for Windows somewhere on my Mac, but apparently hidden. Anyone know where they are? Mac OSX Panther.

 Virtual PC creates a virtual machine. That "machine", on the Mac side, uses a single file that represents a hard disk volume. It's a file that has an image of everything you've installed on your Windows "disk". So if Virtual PC is not actually running, you will not be able to find or to see any Windows application you installed. They are all on the virtual machine's disk, which is just a file, albeit a large one, from the perspective of a Mac. You can't see inside of that large disk image file, so you can't see the individual things that are installed there. To the Mac it's a file that has only one use; to be opened by Virtual PC.

 If you have Virtual PC running, then you can go to the Doze side and find your version of FrameMaker and Reader, just as you could if you were on a real Doze box.

- web