Structured Book imported to FM 8 fails to Distill to PDF w/ Acrobat 8

Valerie Lipow vallipow at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 16:46:46 PDT 2007

The book was created using the FM-Dita Book map, with FM-DITA Topic files.
The book distilled without incident using FM 7.2 files and the Adobe Acrobat
8 Distiller. Now, the book does not distill, and no group of files will
distill into PDF.

In case the problem had something to do with distilling the book, which was
created and has been successfully maintained for six months in FM 7.2, in FM
8, I created a new book in FM 8 and added the files to it. I have been
editing the files in FM 8 for two weeks without problems.

In trying different was to skin this cat, I've noticed that I can distill
all of the 19 files contained in the book individually. This includes the
generated files (TOC and Index); the Acrobat data (bookmarks,
cross-references, etc.) also generates into the PDF files successfully. But
each time I try to distill the book or any two or more files together, with
or without the Acrobat Data, Distiller flushes the job.

In the past (FM 6 days), whenever I had this kind of problem, I could narrow
down the offending file by distilling different documents until I found the
snag, and then recreate the corrupted file to eliminate whatever was causing
Acrobat Distiller to choke.

This time nothing I've tried seems to work, and the fact that I can distill
every file individually makes me think that the problem has something to do
with trying to distill multiple documents in one job. When I try ro distill
different sets of documents, all of the log files from Distiller looks
unlike any other.

I haven't contacted Adobe Tech Support yet, in case there is something I
should try that I haven't.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions, up to and including reinstalling the
software (Acrobat or Frame), which I haven't done yet, if it seems like
something that could help.

Thanks in advance,

Val

--