Can't save a file in FM 7.2

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 29 00:34:46 PDT 2007

At 15:58 -0400 27/8/07, Nina Rogers wrote:

>My coworker has a book saved out on a network. I'm working in the same
>version of Frame and keep getting this message when I try to save my
>work:
>
>"The document was saved to a temporary file, but FM can't rename it to
>have the correct name. The newer version has an odd suffix".
>
>The document is not read-only and we don't have network locking enabled.
>We are both in Version 7.2. (Actually Version 7.2p158)

The only time I have seen this message - and I see it quite a lot - it's been due to the activities of antivirus software. In your case, on the server. Ask your server admin whether:

. They are using AV software

. If yes, the AV software has been recently upgraded

What seems to cause this message is that during the save process, FrameMaker creates a temporary file in the same directory but with a hexadecimal file extent, and saves to that. On completing the save, it tries to delete the original .fm file and then rename the hex file to the same name as the .fm file, but the AV software interferes with this process. However, this cannot be the entire explanation, because usually with this message FrameMaker also creates a message to say that the file has actually been saved, and indeed although I have rashes of these messages when I forget to turn my AV software off, I've never lost work through them.

--
Steve