<$autorange> issues

Rob Shell rshell at iafrica.com
Wed Aug 29 09:43:42 PDT 2007

Hi guys:
I am having trouble with the <$autorange> feature. I am using it in
conjunction with the <$paranum> as is usual for bibliographies.

I am inserting it in the right place, i.e. before <$paranum> in the correct
reference page text flow.

What I get in my index is

Cornell, Carohn 383, 1717–1734

which looks OK but is wrong. Paragraph numbers from 1718 to 1733 are not
authored by Cornell. The entry should read

Cornell, Carohn 383, 1717, 1734
in other words three discrete entries

here, autorange is creating a range where none exists.

I have consulted the Adobe Framemaker manual but confess I am licked.
Perhaps someone can shed some illumination on my mystery.

There are many other mysteries in the reference pages which I should be able
to understand but cannot, for example, why is there a page titled "Index
specifications" which looks like it should be directing the construction of
the index, but it is the last page with no heading which is really doing the
direction.

My entire project is ready to go to the publisher but here I am with no
autorange....

Robert C.-H. Shell
Extraordinary Professor of Historical Demography
UWC
Courier address:
Room 3,23
Statistics department