<$autorange> issues

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 29 11:34:11 PDT 2007

I apologize in advance if I'm the bearer of bad news, but it
just occurred to me that there is another way in which you
may not be getting the desired results in your index.

If you have two markers with the same entry text which
appear on the same page, I suspect that FrameMaker will
present those as a *single* entry (presumably with the
paragraph number that corresponds to the first marker that
FrameMaker encounters) rather than as two discrete entries
with different paragraph numbers. FrameMaker is designed
to collapse all identical index markers that appear on the
same page into a single entry.

As with the autorange issue, I think you're in trouble because
FrameMaker's index-building logic is designed for page-based
references rather than paragraph references. I suspect that
you'd be able to do what you want by means of some sort
of XSLT processing if you were using FrameMaker in structured
mode, but I'm not sure I see any way around the page-based
limitations in unstructured FrameMaker.

-Fred Ridder