<$autorange> issues

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Wed Aug 29 10:41:08 PDT 2007

Rob Shell wrote:
> Hi guys:
> I am having trouble with the <$autorange> feature. I am using it in
> conjunction with the <$paranum> as is usual for bibliographies.
>
> I am inserting it in the right place, i.e. before <$paranum> in the
> correct reference page text flow.
>
> What I get in my index is
>
> Cornell, Carohn 383, 1717–1734
>
> which looks OK but is wrong. Paragraph numbers from 1718 to 1733 are not
> authored by Cornell. The entry should read
>
> Cornell, Carohn 383, 1717, 1734
> in other words three discrete entries
>
> here, autorange is creating a range where none exists.

I haven't used <$autorange> myself, but my reading of the Help file
suggests that you're confusing FM by using page-related <$autorange> for
a pgf-related purpose.

The Help says "You can also have FrameMaker create page ranges for you
automatically whenever the same marker text occurs on consecutive pages
of a document."  Note: page ranges, not paragraph ranges, and
consecutive pages, not consecutive paragraphs.

My guess is that paragraph 1734 is on the page following the page
containing pgf 1717, and the marker text is the same.  So <$autorange>
inserts the hyphen and treats the pgf numbers as page numbers.

IOW, I don't think you can use <$autorange> for your purpose.  :(

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"In second mode, this utility also can provide You with independent ink
monitor. This means, what even then You use ink freezer, utility show
You always actual consumed ink quantity what will be identical to
quantities without ink freezer. This is very useful feature for
experienced refiller."

-- Epson Inkjet Service Utility embedded Help