Keyboard shortcuts in FM8 (was Re: 8.0.1 patch fixes FM Book to PDF issue)

Whites whitefamily at mac.com
Sun Dec 2 08:54:50 PST 2007

Hello All -

How does such a monstrous bug like a nonfunctionng F0-9 sequences get
past QA?  Don't any of the developers USE the software?
Stupid question. I've worked in a number of software houses and the
answer is, sadly, "They don't".
In the meantime, I won't even think of 'upgrading' to FM8.

Will White

On Dec 2, 2007, at 8:20 AM, Alan Houser wrote:

> The FrameMaker 8 keyboard shortcut issue is particularly frustrating.
> It's not just F9; it's all of the ctrl/F[0-9] shortcuts (element
> operations, conditional text, variables, character and paragraph
> formats). Using these shortcuts can dramatically improve a writer's
> productivity using FrameMaker, and minimize reliance on the mouse.
>
> In FM8, the shortcuts "time out", at an apparently random interval.
> Often the shortcut time-out is almost immediate. These keyboard
> shortcuts are nearly unusable in FM8.
>
> I would also be interested in hearing whether anybody does _not_
> experience this problem with FrameMaker 8, or if there is a work-
> around.
>
> -Alan
>
> Diane Gaskill wrote:
>> Hi Greg,
>>
>> Yes, it was free. :-)  But they did not fix everything.  I still have
>> problems with my F9 key when trying to use keyboard shortcuts.
>> the tag list
>> does not stay in the field as it should.   This is real problem
>> because I
>> rely on the shortcuts for all kinds of things.  Not being able to
>> use th F9
>> key is a real productivity slowdown.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a workaround that will make the F9 key behave?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Diane
> --
> Alan Houser, President
> Group Wellesley, Inc.
> 412-363-3481
> www.groupwellesley.com

> whitefamily%40mac.com

There's the right way and the wrong way.
Then there's my way - which is like the wrong way, but faster.