Problems importing Illustrator files take two

Thu Dec 6 12:23:30 PST 2007

MARC CREAGHAN wrote:

> Here is a second stab at my current challenge. I want to
> import some Illustrator document with transparencies and they
> are leaving some unsightly black splotches behind.
>
> Is there a preferred format for importing vector graphics?
> Should I be using eps or tiff or can I import the illustrator
> file directly.

TIFF is a raster (bitmap) format, not vector. You do *not* want to
convert vector graphics to bitmaps. EPS would be a good choice (you'll
only see the low-res bitmap preview on screen -- or a gray box if the
EPS file doesn't include a preview). Or PDF the graphics and import
that.

Some people claim you can import native Illustrator (.ai) files, since
they contain an EPS (or pseudo-EPS) version of the graphic. But no less
an authority than Adobe's Dov Isaacs has strongly advised against it.

I don't think any version of FM supports transparency, so the graphics
probably won't look right on screen no matter what format they are. But
when you PDF the FM file, the transparency should be there.

HTH!
Richard