Problems importing Illustrator files take two

Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 12:27:39 PST 2007

I don't disagree with Richard's quotation from Dov, but I've found
that it depends greatly on what version of Illustrator you're using,
or the FM/Illustrator mesh. I'm working with FM 7.2 and Illustrator
CS2 and not having any problems, although is usually generate a PDF
from the Illustrator file just to keep things smaller. But I haven't
had any problems with this combination. I have used some legacy CS1
Illustrator files and they were more problematic.

Art

On Dec 6, 2007 3:23 PM, Combs, Richard <richard.combs at polycom.com> wrote:
> MARC CREAGHAN wrote:
>
> > Here is a second stab at my current challenge. I want to
> > import some Illustrator document with transparencies and they
> > are leaving some unsightly black splotches behind.
> >
> > Is there a preferred format for importing vector graphics?
> > Should I be using eps or tiff or can I import the illustrator
> > file directly.
>
> TIFF is a raster (bitmap) format, not vector. You do *not* want to
> convert vector graphics to bitmaps. EPS would be a good choice (you'll
> only see the low-res bitmap preview on screen -- or a gray box if the
> EPS file doesn't include a preview). Or PDF the graphics and import
> that.
>
> Some people claim you can import native Illustrator (.ai) files, since
> they contain an EPS (or pseudo-EPS) version of the graphic. But no less
> an authority than Adobe's Dov Isaacs has strongly advised against it.
>
> I don't think any version of FM supports transparency, so the graphics
> probably won't look right on screen no matter what format they are. But
> when you PDF the FM file, the transparency should be there.
>
> HTH!
> Richard

                             No disclaimers apply.
                                     DoD 358