a new Dell PC

Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 14:08:19 PST 2007

I'd go with any of their workstation 390/490 level machines, with at
least 4G RAM and one pair of SATA RAID primary drives. If you're using
Photoshop very much, remember that the recommended config calls for a
secondary scratch hard drive, so you may want a third drive or a
second pair. SCSI isn't as big a boost as it was because it's
basically built in to the SATA interface already at this level. Also,
I'd specify either a really wide monitor or more likely, dual 19"
screens.

Unless your IT guys already have a fair amount of experience with
Vista, I'd specify XP PRO...

Art

On Dec 9, 2007 3:34 AM, Meredith, Ashley <Ashley_Meredith at brown.edu> wrote:
> I've just had a hardware failure that means I get to upgrade to Vista Pro and the latest versions of FrameMaker and Acrobat Pro, as quick as I can get a new workstation ordered. The only stipulation that my university makes is that it prefers Dell. I haven't been paying much attention to hardware improvements lately, so I need to ask, does anyone have recent experience with their offerings? I can pretty much have what I ask for, so which model of Dell desktop should I specify? Which options? Are the wireless keyboard and mouse a hindrance? Also, would a SCSI drive be much of an improvement over their default drive?

                             No disclaimers apply.
                                     DoD 358