FM8 Bug: Lines not breaking after em dash and en dash

Michael Müller-Hillebrand mmh at cap-studio.de
Sat Dec 15 14:20:12 PST 2007

Am 14.12.2007 um 22:06 schrieb Mike Wickham:

> Is anyone else seeing this? In FM8 Format> Document> Text Options,
> I have
> "Allow Line Breaks After" set to forward slash, hyphen, en dash,
> and em
> dash. I believe these are the default values. Lines break after a
> slash or
> hyphen, but not after either em or en dashes. It has caused reflow in
> documents originally created in FM7.1.

It wasn't mentioned like this by Adobe, but FrameMaker 8 is the
biggest change in FrameMaker versions since maybe version 4 to 5. The
differences are still minor compared to what happens with other tools
between versions...

When changing versions, everyone should be prepared to do some work
with their templates, fonts, existing documents etc.

The problem you mention could be connected to an error when opening
previous versions files. The original release had a problem with text
in auto-numbers that contained non-ASCII characters which has been
fixed with 8.0p266. Of course, that change applies only to documents
opened with the latest release.

I tried your scenario with 8.p266 and there are no problems: The
characters you mention are correctly changed from 7.2 \= and \m in
FM8 to their "real" appearance: – and — (not seen in monospaced
fonts) and work as advertised.

Could it be you either have the previous version or are looking at
files which have been opened by the previous version?

- Michael

Michael Müller-Hillebrand: Dokumentations-Technologien
Adobe Certified Expert, FrameMaker
Lösungen und Training, FrameScript, XML/XSL, Unicode
http://cap-studio.de/ -- Tel. +49 (9131) 28747