Hypertext links in Acrobat 8 documents generated from FrameMaker 8

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Thu Dec 20 02:30:19 PST 2007

Austin Meredith wrote:

>Having recently upgraded on the XP PC from Adobe FrameMaker 7 and
>Acrobat Pro 7 to FM8.0p266 and Acrobat Pro 8.1.1 and Adobe Reader
>8.1.1, we can't get our distilled hypertext buttons to function
>anymore. ... ...
>However, now, whenever one punches a hypertext button on a web page
>that we have generated, the error message we always get is "There was
>an error while performing an action. Attempt to call a method that
>has not been implemented." These are hypertext buttons that work fine
>on the PC, in connecting one FrameMaker8 document to another
>FrameMaker8 document -- but in between two distilled Acrobat8
>documents on the web, none of them work at all. ...

This is related to the Unicode-encoded linking, introduced in FrameMaker
8.0 (I reported potential implications of this in the FrameUsers list and
AdobeForums, back in August).

See http://www.microtype.com/FM_bugs.html#FM80 for more information and
sample files.

I am not aware of any way to control this from within FrameMaker 8.0.
As part of my work on the next version of FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers, I added
a function that changes the Unicode-encoded links to the previous link format.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
TimeSavers/Assistants