Bugs, or features, in FM8

orandeep at comcast.net orandeep at comcast.net
Sat Dec 29 19:03:10 PST 2007

I have been using FM8 and Acrobat 8 for some months now without any sign of a hyperlink issue. I use cross-references, internal and external hyperlinks, TOC's, Indexes. I make lists of markers, elements, paragraphs, etc. all of which are "hot" All of the links seem to work as intended in PDF. They work both when I use the Save As PDF abd when I use the print & distill method. Since we are about to upgrade a very large project involving thousands of unique manuals and hundreds of thousands of pages monthly, I am curious as to what your workflow/setup is. If there is a flaw, I have not found it so far.
As to your file lock/unlock issue, FM8 has an icon on the Formatting Toolbar "Toggle View Only" that lets you switch with a mouse click. You no longer need "Esc F l k" (Not "Ctrl") unless you prefer the shortcut over the icon. If you wish to save it in view only mode, you do "Save As" Save as type: View Only. Your file will then be in view only mode when next opened. The Formatting toggle icon allow you to exit View Only for editing purposes as you wish. You are not really "locking" the file (even though Adobe uses this term in help and other places). The "lck" file that Frame creates for all opened files just informs others that the file is already open for editing if they attempt to also open it. Many confuse this "lck" with the View Only "locking".
If you really like shortcuts, you can save your non View Only file as View Only with this sequence: Alt f a Tab v Tab Enter Tab Enter. (There will be a test on this later).
Oran Petersen
From: Austin Meredith <Ashley_Meredith at brown.edu>
Subject: Bugs, or features, in FM8

Since our Kouroo project now has an effective workaround for the fact
that the hypertext linkage between FM8 and PDF files has not yet been
implemented (by way of first saving a FM8 file as a FM7 MIF file
before distilling a PDF), the initial panic has subsided. It turns
out that it's not a big deal and our project can wait patiently for
Adobe to fix this.

I've noticed something else, however. I've always been in the habit
of using the locking/unlocking feature of FM, using the keystrokes
"Ctrl F l k" to transit the files back and forth between a locked
"use condition" to an unlocked "edit condition." However, in FM8, if
you do a "Ctrl s" save before you do the "Ctrl F l k Ctrl w" to lock
and close a file, your "Ctrl F l k" is wasted effort as the file
simply doesn't stay locked.