Replacing Framemaker

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 1 03:54:54 PST 2007

At 06:39 -0500 1/2/07, Rebecca.L.Frasure at aphis.usda.gov wrote:

>Someone left on my desk (presumably to irritate the heck out me), an article from the January STC Magazine Intercom called "Old Software." They underlined a paragraph which says, "also absent from this discussion is Adobe Framemaker, which is starting to show its age and lack of recent development. Fans may want to consider using OpenOffice.org Writer."

Writer appears to be more of a potential replacement for Word than for applications like FrameMaker.

There's a detailed comparison here:

<http://software.newsforge.com/software/05/06/14/2137222.shtml?tid=152&tid=93>

And of course, Writer does not support structure.

As for 'starting to show its age and lack of recent development', followers of this group already know that this is not true.

--
Steve