Using variables for single sourcing

Daniel Emory danemory7224 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 5 11:52:31 PST 2007

--- Scott Prentice <sp at leximation.com> wrote:
> The only way I can think of to do this without a
> plugin (or
> FrameScript), would be to source the files as XML or
> MIF, and have some
> process outside of Frame that manages these values.
================================
In my document entitled "A New Approach to Single
Sourcing" (available on the microtype site under
Articles by Dan Emory), I offer a solution to the
problem you describe. The method is as follows:

1, On a reference page in document file (or in the
document template), create a multi=row table having
the following columns in left-to-right order, named as
follows in a header row:

* Column 1 = "Variable (Current Value)"
* Columns 2 and up = the name of each deliverable
requiring changes in the variable’s value.

2. In each row of column 1, you select and insert one
of the variables which changes in one or more
deliverables. So, double-clicking on the current value
in this column opens the variable diialog..

3. In columns 2 and up, you insert the required value
(of the variable in column 1) for each deliverable.

4. If the current value of a variable in column 1
differs from the required value for a particular
deliverable, you double-click on the variable in
column 1 to open the variable dialog, click the Edit
Definition button, type in the correct value, click
the Change button, then click the Done button.
Notice that the user who updates the variables doesn’t
even have to know the name of each variable. All that
person must determine is whether the current value of
the variable (indicated in column 1) agrees with the
required value for a particular deliverable (in
columns 2 and up).

It might be convenient to add another column to this
table which specifies the correct value for the
deliverable-neutral configuration of the master
document. In that column, all variables would be
specified to have their default values (which could be
the names of the variables themselves).

This approach is superior for the following reasons:

A. The user does not have to know the names of the
variables which are subject to change for each
deliverable, which eliminates the likelihood that the
tech writer will pick the wrong variable.

B. This solution provides an assured, organized way to
manage all variables whose values differ in different
deliverables. In effect, the table itself completely
defines the scope of the task, as well as the
methodology used for successfully carrying out the
task.

C. If a single master template is used to update all
files (including reference pages) in a book, the
operation described in B above need be performed only
in the master template, and then the updated values of
the variables will be imported from the template into
all files in the book.