Hidden frame

Whites whitefamily at mac.com
Tue Feb 6 02:18:49 PST 2007

It might be humorous - and informative at the same time - if some
Framer were to make a compilation of such horror stories. Being made
aware of bad practices can be helpful - even to those of us who are
(we hope) less incompetent.

My favorites were a pair of manuals I inherited from a colleague who
complained incessantly about the "bugs" in FrameMaker. She was
maintaining two completely separate 100-page manuals, identical in
every respect except for the fact that the file paths in one
contained backslashes for Windows users and the other contained
forward slashes for Unix. And just to make the two manuals more
laborious to maintain, EVERY index entry sported a pair of directly
adjacent markers - one for <$startrange> and the other for <
$endrange>.  When this particular writer left the company after a
downsizing, I inherited the books in her office. Not surprisingly,
her FrameMaker manual had never been opened.

I think it is very common for software users to rise just to the
level of competence where they can do their tasks and never progress
beyond that level.

Will White
One Lambda Inc