Structured Frame Questions

Kristy Nolan Kristy.Nolan at wnco.com
Wed Feb 7 07:18:58 PST 2007

My work group is attempting to make the change from unstructured to
structured Frame, and are attempting to define our structures and
corresponding elements. We are on Frame 7.0, and have learned just
enough structure to be dangerous. This move is to try to get us into
a single-sourcing environment. Eventually. We are using a new project
for our documents, and aren't considering any legacy material for the
time being.

I am looking for some pieces of information:

First, text inserts: The understanding is that these will follow the
same EDD as the document(s) they are imported into. By using the
associated formats document, different paragraph formats will then be
applied. Is this correct? Are there any quirks/differences using text
inserts in structured vs. unstructured?

Next, conditional text: We have found a plug-in that applies
conditions to the elements, but it appears that this will still make
our process very manual in the case of text inserts. Right now, the
thought is with nested pieces, where some elements need to be hidden
for specific information products. Is this the best (or very good)
way to do this? Are there better alternatives?

Thanks!
Kristy

Kristy Nolan
Developer II