OT: Acrobat 8 Trial overwrites Adobe PDF printer driver instance?

Yves Barbion yves.barbion at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 00:51:03 PST 2007

Hello FrameUsers,

I had the following situation:

   1. I have Acrobat 6 Professional up and running (with some nice
   Enfocus plug-ins).
   2. I want to give Acrobat 8 Professional a try, so I download and
   install it.
   3. During the installation, I get a warning telling me that another
   version of Acrobat is already installed on my pc. Indeed, version 6. I don't
   want to remove it, so I click the Ignore button.
   4. I play around with Acrobat 8 and discover the VERY nice review
   features.
   5. Next, I try to create a new PDF file (from FrameMaker) but I get a
   warning telling me that I have to activate Acrobat 8 first. Hmmm!
   6. I check my Adobe PDF printer driver instance and see that it has
   been overwritten by Acrobat 8. Is this correct?
   7. I do want to upgrade to Acrobat 8, but later, so I still need to be
   able to create PDF files for my daily production work.
   8. I take a chance and reinstall Acrobat 6 (Repair). Towards the end
   of the installation procedure, I see that a new Adobe PDF printer driver
   instance is being created.
   9. I check the Adobe PDF printer driver instance and reconfigure its
   properties, taking into account Dov Isaacs' very helpful recommendations.
   10. Everything works fine again.

So this worked for me to have two versions of Acrobat "next to each other"
on the same pc, but I understand that playing around with the Adobe PDF
printer instance can be tricky business. Or is there a better (safer) way to
do this, apart from installing these trial versions on a dedicated "trial
pc", which you don't use for production work?

Best regards

--
Yves Barbion
Documentation Architect