Reasons to Structure

Charles Beck Charles.Beck at infor.com
Wed Feb 14 08:34:10 PST 2007

That makes sense. Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ridder, Fred [mailto:fred.ridder at intel.com]
Subject: RE: Reasons to Structure

The point is that you tag a UI element as a UI element because it is a UI element. You make it bold (or whatever) at a later point in the process based on how you choose to format the semantically tagged elements for a given deliverable. The element itself is tagged according to what kind of information it is, so the tagging is basically meta-information that has added value to your content because it can be used in all sorts of post-processing operations.

Semantic tagging of in-line elements (like names of parameters and API functions) is so valuable that our pubs group was doing it in our Word documentation many before we transitioned to Frame, which was several years before we were acquired by Intel and even more years before Intel sold off that business unit and all those documents.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder (fred dot ridder at intel dot com) Intel Parsippany, NJ