Figure Numbering Problem

Thu Feb 15 12:38:31 PST 2007

Michael D. Conner wrote:

> on 2/15/07 12:21 PM, Combs, Richard at
> richard.combs at Polycom.com wrote:
>
> > Don't put the figure caption in a text frame inside your anchored
> > frame
> > -- as Winfried noted, that puts it in a different text flow.
>
> This is incorrect. A text frame inside an anchored frame has
> the same Flow Tag as the text containing the anchored frame,
> at least it does when there is only one text flow in a
> document. I've never worked with multiple text flows, so I
> don't know what would happen then, but suspect the answer
> would be the same. On the other hand, a text frame in a
> graphic frame has no text flow tag.

Are you sure, Michael? I just tested this. I created a text frame inside
an anchored frame. Then I created a graphics frame, and created a second
text frame inside that. In the Object Properties dialog, neither text
frame has a Flow Tag.

It may be the case that FM can figure out the object order (dependency,
hierarchy -- whatever you call it) when the text frame is in the
anchored frame -- it's only one nested object removed from the flow,
kind of like a table cell.  Maybe FM only gets confused if there are
additional "layers," like a graphic frame object, or some other
complicating factor.

In any case, Howard's numbering problem has plagued others as well.
Using a table instead of putting the caption inside the anchored frame
avoids the problem, however it's triggered.

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer