Translators

mark.poston at mekon.com mark.poston at mekon.com
Wed Jan 3 09:28:32 PST 2007

Hi,

Plugins like mif2go can export to RTF that your Word users could make use of. You can find more info on this from www.omsys.com.

You do not mention whether you will be using Structured FrameMaker ... I am presuming not. However, a solution for Word which would allow you to import structured content (XML) would be In.Vision Xpress Author (http://www.invisionresearch.com). This is a plugin for Word that provides very user friendly XML editing capabilities.

I would not personally go down the PDF route but there are tools that can do a good job of it.

If your intention is to re-import the Word content back into FrameMaker then the RTF import filter can get content back in for you. There is likely to be some cleanup required after import though.

You could use tools such as Mekon's FrameAC to write scripts to help with this.

Of course, XML would be the ideal route to take and is certainly worth considering as part of your migration to FrameMaker. With the ever growing use of DITA this is a much less painful experience than it might have been several years ago.

I hope this helps you a little.

Kind regards

Mark Poston
Senior Consultant